If Your Doctor Could Prescribe Self-Care, They Would
According to a recent Harris Poll, 9 out of 10 doctors consider self-care to be an essential to staying healthy. Despite this, only a third of their patients say they practice self-care often.
With so many different responsibilities competing for our time, many of us tend to dismiss the idea of routine self-care as something that’s unrealistic (or not affordable). The good news is that some of the most effective self-care practices are simple and, better yet, free. With National Relaxation Day coming up on August 15, try out some of our self-care tips below. Whatever you choose, know that even a small change can impact your health and wellbeing in positive ways!
- Get up and moving – even a quick walk can help.
- Prevent eye strain with the 20-20-20 rule: When working with screens, every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Be compassionate with yourself
- Slow down and pay attention to your breathing
- Take time (even if just for 5 minutes) to transition from one task to the next
- Read food labels to make sure you’re feeding your body the right nutrients
- Check in with your body by keeping track of your blood pressure and BMI at a higi Health Station.
Remember, self-care doesn’t have to be glamorous. It’s whatever you can do every day to make yourself even just a little bit happier and healthier.